455 Rod Bearing Problems!!

Buick Engine Tech Forum.
1965GSDOUG
Site Admin

455 Rod Bearing Problems!!

Postby 1965GSDOUG » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:02 am

I am in the process of rebuilding my neighbor's '72 455 & just ran into a problem I have never seen or heard of before.
I just started to reassemble the engine & was checking clearances on the Crankshaft Rods & Mains. When I put the New Rod Bearing Shells into the Reconditioned Rods I noticed that the Bearing Shell in the Rod Cap only was offset to one side of the Rod Cap rather then being on center. The Rod ends themselves are fine with the Bearing Shells centered but all the Rod Caps Shells are off center to the same side on all 8 Rods roughly .023.
I grabbed an extra set of Rods I have on hand & the Bearings fit perfect on both the Rod End & the Caps. This leads me to believe that the bearings are fine & the problem is indeed with the Rod Caps only. I also took into consideration that when the Rods were reconditioned & side clearanced that the rod caps were installed backward but there was not anywhere near .020 material removed to cause this. This Engine was removed from an original '72 Estate Wagon which ran great with no noises or problems which is the main reason we chose to rebuild it. I cannot believe that this was like this in the Estate Wagon for just over 100,000 Miles & did not end up with a knock in the Engine or some sort of abnormal wear.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as our next plan is to buy another set of rods, have them reconditioned & have the Pistons mounted again. :?

Well I feel it is time to update the problem I am having with the '72 455 rebuild I am doing.
I stated before that the Bearing Shells were offset in the Rod Caps to one side. We have since ordered & received another set of reconditioned Rods only to have the Bearing Shells in the Caps okay but now the Bearing Shells in the Rod Ends OFFSET which directly reverse of what we had before using the same Bearings!
I am attaching some Photos to help explain my situation. If anyone has seen this or knows what to do next I would be greatfull.
Thanks Again,
Doug

Attachments
CIMG4350.JPG
CIMG4344.JPG
1965 Gran Sport Convertible 3 Speed Dual Quad
1965 455ci Thin Post Sedan 11.40@119.8
1965 Skylark Convertible

corkgs

Re: 455 Rod Bearing Problems!!

Postby corkgs » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:53 pm

did you have any luck finding a solution?
ImageCork
70 stage1 4spd
71gs350(455)--Knute's

1965GSDOUG
Site Admin

Re: 455 Rod Bearing Problems!!

Postby 1965GSDOUG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:32 am

I ended up using a Die Grinder to move the notches in the Rod Caps to the side which centered the Bearings. I believe once the Rod is installed the Squash on the Bearings
will hold them so there will not be any issues with the Bearing moving around in the Rod End.
We just finished the Trans. & Transfer Case so we are about to install it in the Jeep CJ.
Once it is done & running I will post an update.
Doug
1965 Gran Sport Convertible 3 Speed Dual Quad
1965 455ci Thin Post Sedan 11.40@119.8
1965 Skylark Convertible

Return to “Engine Tech”